-Keara Foster :)
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
"A New Civil Rights Movement"- My Response
In the article, Herbert talks about how the separation of black families during slavery still has an effect on African American's today. I agree with his ideas regarding this. I believe that psychologically those images and memories were planted in the minds of black families and were passed on throughout the many generations. I don't, however, believe that we should have another Civil Rights Movement. The Civil Rights movement was important so that blacks could express to whites that we are human and deserved to be treated as such. Now, blacks need to express to other blacks that we are still important as African Americans. One our classmates that was in my group on Tuesday, called it an Empowerment Movement, and I agree that that is what we need.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree Keara. I feel like this image and the problems from slavery are opressed in the back of our minds and we unconciously act upon them. Although we are i a different age and time, I feel like issues from slavery will forever affect how african-americans act, whether it be positve or negative. I do believe that empowerment is what we need because as a people we need to come together to improve ourselves. :)
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you on much of what you said. Calling another movement a "Civil Rights Movement" is not suitable to solve the problems that we are facing now. The Civil Rights Movement was a point in time that we cannot replicate. The problems many face as blacks (including me) and even other races face are ones that we should all be working together to keep from continuing.
ReplyDelete