I tried to stick to a couple of events that impacted the black family, but it was so hard to deliberate what was more important because EVERY detail is important in our history.
*Early Days and Slavery
-1619- A Dutch ship brings 20 African indentured servants to the English colony of Jamestown, Virginia. This effected the migration and separation of families. Fathers were torn apart from their families and I believe that had a negative effect on the male psyche and well being.
-1781- Free blacks in New York City found the African Free School, where future leaders Henry Highland Garnett and Alexander Crummell are educated. This impacted the black family by education aspect. Starting the education of young children and building and sculpting leaders. Education has an effect of black family because what you learn will determine how you raise your families.
*Building Democracy
-1867- Five all-black colleges are founded: Howard University, Morgan State College, Talladega College, St. Augustine's College, and Johnson C. Smith College. There will be more than 100 predominantly black colleges by the middle of the next century. This effects the black families through education. The oppresion of black colleges, gives a professional standpoint to the African American culture. We over came obstacles of not being able to red in public and now we are to the point where have our own source of higher education. Higher education means better jobs and opportunities for our families.
-1911- The National Urban League is founded to help the many African Americans who are migrating to the cities find jobs and housing. This helped with migration as well as job opportunities for African American families. People were able to move to different locations, providing a better life for their families.
*Civil Rights This is the time, to me (based off the time line), where people are challenging their talents and gifts.
*Civil Rights This is the time, to me (based off the time line), where people are challenging their talents and gifts.
-1963- The MLK March was an important event because of how it taught younger children about self determination (involving them in the process), and then it taught them unity. This moment brought the community closer together, and I believe it broguht the families closer together as well. A tragic event that happened during this time was the killing of the 4 girls. This event was traumatizing, but I believe that it also brought families closer together, creating unity.
-1967- Edward W. Brooke became the first African American U.S Senator since reconstruction. This to me also shows collective self esteem. Accomplishments like this gives the black community something to be proud of. They can use these people as an example to set high standards for their family.
*Modern Times
*Modern Times
-1972- Equal Employment Opportunity Act was passed. Giving African Americans more jobs so that they can have access to a better living. This employment has an effect on their migration, education, and housing.
-1983- This year was full of success stories. Vanessa Williams becoming the first black Miss America. Points in out in the American culture that Black people are beautiful too. Astronaut Guion "Guy" S. Bluford, Jr. becomes the first African American in space. These things gave African Americans a sense of self worth. People were able to value being African American because they are able to "name drop (call out a lot of names who are important to society)". This has a different effect on the male psyche.
Two principles that I felt were well through out this timeline are self-determination and faith. Self-determination was what people needed to push themselves to do better and make a difference, and faith was what they needed to believe it was possible. These are things that I think the African American culture still holds in society today. In the video we saw today I think expressed how these principles (as well as the rest of them) are very common in our natural way of thinking as African Americans. This is what it takes to be resilient.
Two principles that I felt were well through out this timeline are self-determination and faith. Self-determination was what people needed to push themselves to do better and make a difference, and faith was what they needed to believe it was possible. These are things that I think the African American culture still holds in society today. In the video we saw today I think expressed how these principles (as well as the rest of them) are very common in our natural way of thinking as African Americans. This is what it takes to be resilient.
-Keara
I totally agree with you! When I was going through the timeline there were events that I obviously learned about before but then there were many amazing accomplishments that I did not know of. The timeline was very interesting to follow and see the many accomplishments that prior generations have made. I also stated that self determination and faith were needed for the overall progress to where we are today.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you incorporated faith and self determination from the past to the future and how African Americans can relate to it today. These qualities were very significant for African Americans to keep going on as well as today where oppression for minorities still exist where faith and self determination is still needed.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletei agree with the timeline was very eyeopening because i never know that black people did so much. You never hear about in school. Society makes it seem that black people didnt do a lot in history except during the civil rights movement but in actuality they did a lot before it and after it. The two principles i agree because it would take a lot of faith to believe in a better tomorrow especially when there is a lot of adversity around you.
ReplyDeleteI think the timeline was a experience for everybody to see the history we aren't really taught through the education system. I like the fact that you chose Self Determination and Faith as the 2 main principals because i've been noticing that through my other course studies that those two principals serve as the core to the African American experience. These principals are preached and taught in the African American homes and churches and have been done since slavery.
ReplyDeleteI also think that the timeline was an experience for everybody. I agree when you say that self determination is what blacks need to push themselves to be better and make a difference. Blacks need to come together and enlighten each other to do better in today's society. I like how you chose events off of the timeline that many people don't know about such as, the first Black Miss America. This shows that people don't appreciate and accept black accomplishments.
ReplyDelete