Saturday, March 31, 2012

Racial Identity

Racial Identity 

It took me a while to determine how white privilege is expressed throughout the identity developmenet stages. I'm still not completely sure. What comes to mind is the simple differences between the White Racial Identiry model and People of Color Identiy Model. The first stages in both of them is a pretty clear explantion of how whit privilege is available in society. For the White Racial Identity Model, their first stage is Contact. People in this stage pretends as if their arent any differences between humans and race doesn't really exist. Ignoring the differences in one another because noone has brought it to your attention, because you are more than likely able to fit in, is probably an example of white privilege.  You dont deal with the issues around you because they arent concerning you. In the People of Color Identity model, the first stage is the Pre-Encounter stage, which means that these people of color deny their own culture and want to be white. These people see that there is white privilege and they want to some of it, there self-esteem must not be high because they damage themselves mentally because of it. 


I think the knowledge of white privilege has a effect on my daily encounter more than white privilege itself. Since I've taken this class, I'm always over thinking things, which is a good and bad thing. Sometimes I work myself up because I would feel that everyone, in a classroom for example, is against me because they have more privilege than me. Other times I'm not bothered by it, and i feel as though my voice needs to be heard because their privilege is unacceptable, like marching in the Trayvon Martin ralley. 

I'm very comfortable with who I am. I love my culture, and proud of who we are and what we have become, for the most part. With my understnading, I feel as though it is my duty to make a difference in today's societies. If things are still the same, when it is time for me to leave this earth, then I did not do my part. I'm so grateful for this service learning project because it helped me get started with making a difference, even if it's the slightest difference, in the world.  My change will NOT stop here, for there is too much that needs to change. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about over thinking things since taking courses and learning about white privilege. I try to remember that most whites do not think about race because they simply think that they are normal, and that although colored people are different, they do not have to make any changes because everything is okay to them. I feel like with the Trayvon Martin situation, it was definitely a point where as African Americans, we needed to stand up for what was right, which was to fight all of the violence in relation to race and children. I also am proud to be African American, not only because I look good (LOL), but because I am part of the most powerful and adaptable race that exists.

    ReplyDelete