Thursday, April 5, 2012

Achievement Gap

I think the systemic and individual factors both work simultaneously and have a huge affect on these kids lives and educational success. The areas they are living in, which they have no control over affects their behaviors and how they act as individuals. How they act as individuals have an affect on their academic learning. The economic status of the school, not being able to provide resources, also affects the child's success and achievement gap. The young men, in the Baraka program, did have some kind of family support system, but sometimes you need a little bit more than family support, which is why the program was good for most of them.  Some of them were able to learn from the experience and make something of themselves even if they didn't continue the program, but others needed a tad bit more support or a longer experience to take it with them. 


With the "Closing the Gap" article and what I make of these differences are very clear. The difference isour children don't have the resources, "only 21% of blacks were upper middle class or higher, where as 73% of whites were". Not only the resources, but the learning that is being done. SOme of the students are being taught how to take a test instead of how to do critical thinking. I can't stress enough how the lack of resources can affect a person's full potential of learning. Yes there is an achievement gap, and yes there is oppression. 

2 comments:

  1. Keara, I agree with your thoughts around the unfortunate "perfect storm" that the effects of the systemic and individual factors in these children's lives has on them. Where is the support and resources for these children and their parents or other loved ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keara, I can't tell you enough how frustrated I am when it comes to issues of education and the achievement gap. I have worked and volunteered at several local high schools and middle schools and it breaks my heart to see these students sometimes feel hopeless due to the fact that they are expected to know something without having the resources. Even with the documentaries we have been watching I can help but to get teary eyed in the fact that a group of people are treated in such a way. I understand that they are also personal component to it but the great issue that is holding black families back I believe is the system and us educated individuals have to make other be aware of these issues and help in the best way we can with the opportunities we have been given.

    ReplyDelete